The Riga Municipal Police is a part of the Riga City Council and operates within the administrative territory of Riga city.
It is governed by the Law on Police of the Republic of Latvia. The Riga Municipal Police is the institution responsible for public order. The responsible, dynamic and exciting daily work in the Riga Municipal Police includes the following:
1) performance of duties to ensure public order and security;
2) duties of the Operative Units that work 24/7 and react to the emergency calls;
3) running of the municipal Video Surveillance Centre;
4) ensuring safety and security of the minors within the territory of the city;
5) ensuring of public order and security in the municipal beaches;
6) enforcement of the provisions stipulated in the Latvian Administrative Violations Code and the Binding Regulations of Riga City Council, and making decisions according to the aforementioned regulations;
7) reviewing applications, complaints and proposals. Source of finance – Riga City Council.
The Riga Municipal Police has a complex and integrated structure that consists of the headquarters, six district/suburb departments and four specialised services.
Know what we've been up to and the latest on the European urban security frame.